The Government of Japan invites to apply for the Grant Assistance for Cultural Grassroots Projects (GCGP).
Grant assistance for Cultural Grassroots Project (GCGP) is meant to facilitate cultural exchanges and deepen friendship and mutual understanding between Japan and developing countries by providing non-profit organizations of those countries with support for procurement of equipment and construction of facilities to promote culture and higher education.
LINK: Grant Assistance for Cultural Grassroots Projects（MOFA）
The eligible recipients of GCGP are any type of non-profit organizations which are active at the grass-roots level in developing countries.
●Non-governmental organizations (NGOs)
●Research and higher education institutions.
●Under certain conditions, governmental institutions may also be eligible for assistance.
※Individuals and profit-making organizations are not eligible for GCGP.
PRIORITY AREAS OF GCGP:
(1) GCGP directly supports the promotion of culture and higher education at the grass-roots level in each country, while also serving as cooperation which encourages understanding of and cultural exchanges with Japan.
※Currently, one of the priority area of GCGP is sport fields as a part of the "Sport for Tomorrow" initiative.
(2) The following types of projects will not be eligible.
●The projects that do not contribute to the economic and social development
●The projects which do not benefit people at the grass-roots level
●The projects that are intended for political or religious purposes
●The projects that could be intended for military purpose
●The projects which include the provision of luxury articles such as alcoholic beverages and cigarette
●Capability of the proponent (including track record, financial management capacity, implementation capability and monitoring system, etc.)
●Appropriateness and cost-effectiveness of the requested grant
●Necessity and impact
AVAILABLE FUNDS AND IMPLEMENTATION PERIOD:
The grant amount per project, in principle, is up to 10 million yen. The implementation period of the project is one year after the signing date of the grant contract.
FLOW CHART OF GCGP:
When submitting your application form, please note the following points:
(1) In selecting projects for funding, the Japanese Government places a high priority on the impact and sustainability of the project. You must convince the Japanese embassy or consulate that your organization can manage the project well. A detailed description of the past achievements of your organization will therefore be helpful.
(2) The Japanese Government cannot provide funds for salaries and other operating expenses. The operating expenses from the implementation of the project shall therefore be independently financed by your organization. In order to convince the embassy that you can manage the project well, you must show that your organization has sufficient funds to cover running expense.
(3) Pro forma estimates must be submitted for each budget item so that the embassy or consulate can ensure value for money of the project. Whenever possible, you should submit estimates from three different suppliers.
HOW TO APPLY:
If your organization satisfies the conditions described above and you want to receive GCGP funds in order to implement a project for the promotion of culture or higher education in your country, you should submit an application form to the Japanese embassy. The application form must be accompanied by the following documents.
●Detailed breakdown of the budget for the project
●Map showing the project site
●Feasibility study for the project
●Estimates for the goods and services that will be purchased by the grant (from three different suppliers)
●The document introducing your organization (such as brochures), its regulations
●The annual budget of your organization.
Send your project request papers and all supporting documents to:
All the required documents shall be presented in English.
DEADLINE FOR THE APPLICATION:
The Embassy of Japan accepts request papers on a year-round basis
Please find the GCGP guideline and application form and read them carefully before you start preparing for the application.
●Guideline for GCGP (PDF)
●Application Form (Word)
●Sample Budget Breakdown Application (Excel)
●Instruction for Application
(1) Prospective applicants should note that the following budget items cannot be financed: consumables, operating and maintenance costs of facilities and equipment, administrative costs of the recipient organization, the cost of accepting experts and training, the cost of hosting events.
(2) Funds received must be used exclusively for the implementation of the project. The Japanese embassy or consulate reserves the right to claim a refund of the grant if the funds are used for any purpose other than for the implementation of the project.
(3) It would be preferable if the recipient organization could manage the funds for the project separately, such as by opening an exclusive bank account, in order to facilitate auditing of the grant.
Grant Assistance For Cultural Grassroots Projects (GCGP)