1. IntroductionThe Government of Japan invites entities from NGOs and Local Governments to apply for the Grant Assistance for Grassroots Human Security Projects (GGP) Programme, in fiscal year 2018 (April 2018- March 2019).
GGP is a flexible and timely funding scheme, which supports grassroots level socio-economic development projects initiated by civil society organizations addressing people’s Basic Human Needs (BHNs).
Reflecting the Japanese Government's strong commitment to uphold the concept of "Human Security", GGP programme intends to contribute to improvement of various fields such as health, education, skill training, and social welfare sectors.
In addition to the attached Procedure and Application Form, please be advised of the following information particularly for submitting the project proposals for the fiscal year 2018.
2. Eligible RecipientsThe GGP’s targets are NGOs, local governmental organizations, hospitals, medical institutions, educational institutions such as primary and junior high schools and also nonprofit organizations, which implement development projects at grass-roots level. Individual and profit organizations are not eligible for the GGP.
3. Projects Areas1) The GGP mainly targets areas that aim to improve Basic Human Needs (BHN), such as the projects that are highly beneficial at the grass-roots level and those that require timely support on humanitarian grounds. Typical projects include construction of primary schools, social welfare facilities for people with disabilities, street children and the elderly, gender issues, violence against women, women’s empowerment, education for girls, improvement of fundamental medical equipment for hospitals to support vulnerable people such as refugees, excavation of wells, vocational training, etc.
2) The following areas are not financed by the GGP
- Projects with uncertain benefits for the grass-roots activities such research assistance for advanced academic institutions and fund for capacity building of the applying organizations.
- Projects limited to commercial activities and creation of employment for particular individuals and organizations, and the projects which have uncertain direct benefits for grass-roots activities.
- Culture, art and sport projects that are less related to the economic and social development.
- Projects with a political or missionary purpose or military intention.
4. Grant Amounts and Implementation PeriodThe amount of the Grant is less than 10 million yen, in principle, financed in Euro, which shall be paid in IRR by the Embassy to the accepted recipients.
Projects are implemented for one year or less from the date of conclusion of the Grant contract.
5. How to ApplyIf your organization satisfies the conditions described in above and you want to receive GGP grant assistant to implement a development project, you should submit an application form (download from this website) to the Economic Cooperation Section of the Embassy of Japan.
The Government of Japan cannot support every submitted project, in general. Funds are provided to appropriate projects after detailed examinations through site visiting, etc. and evaluations made by the Embassy, and the Government of Japan in Tokyo.
It should be noted that the application process of GGP is extremely competitive. Therefore, applicants are highly expected to apply at the earliest opportunity before deadlines.
・ Deadline for the early application for fiscal year 2018 is 30 June 2018.
・ Deadline for the late application for fiscal year 2018 is 30 September 2018.
Generally speaking, there is no organization which can prepare all the necessary documents at the first submission; so the applicants are expected to contact the GGP Consultants, Economic Cooperation Section, Embassy of Japan, in advance and receive their consultation until all the required documents are ready.
6. Download Application FormApplication Form (Word)
7. ContactGGP Consultants, Economic Cooperation Section, Embassy of Japan
TEL: +98 (21) 22660710 (ext. 138)
Contact desk: GGP Consultant, Economic Cooperation Section